Monday, July 7, 2008

Meals for Summer Week 3 July 7 through July 12th


Well here are my meals for this week. Last Thursday I actually made homemade bread for the first time. I use whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour, so it was a little denser than most breads, but very edible with olive oil and vinegar or butter. My family devoured it. This week I am trying to branch out of this rut I seem to be in with summer cooking. I am trying to make more things from scratch. We will see how it goes. Enjoy the meals.

Monday: Leftover Turkey Enchilada Pie, salad and homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Tuesday: Grandpa’s Birthday (dinner at Grandpa’s and Granny’s)

Wednesday: Salsa Chicken and Rice Meal (recipe below) served with a wedge salad

Thursday: Turkey burgers, French fries and grilled veggies

Friday: Homemade Pizza Night

Saturday: Frozen Meal (MOPS garage sale so I need to be flexible)

Southwestern Chicken (I forget where I got this recipe…I apologize I would normally give you credit for it) I have adapted it a little.

Ingredients

*4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I pound mine a little to make them tender before putting them in the baking dish)
*1 can cream of chicken soup (reduced fat)
*1/2 C water
*1/2 a bag frozen corn

*1 can of black beans, drained
*3/4 C uncooked long grain white rice or brown
*1 1/4 C of your favorite salsa (I use mild so my kids can eat it)
*2 to 3 Dashes of cumin
*1 to 2 Dashes of cayenne
*Paprika
*3/4 C Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded

Taco seasoning according to taste

* 4 oz can of green chilies

How To:

In your favorite 2 Qt baking dish mix soup, salsa, water, corn, rice, green chilies, beans and dashes of cumin and cayenne.
Lay the chicken on top of this. Sprinkle paprika over the dish, cover with foil and bake at 475 for about 35 minutes. Remove the foil, cover with cheese and bake another 10 minutes or until the cheese turns that delightful golden brown and gets all bubbly. Then you know it's done.

Serve with cornbread and you have a 1 dish meal.

No comments: