Monday, July 14, 2008

Grab What You Have Frittata Recipe

Well it turned out great! The recipe is below. I hope you have a chance to try this one. It is yummy. Feel free to vary ingredients depending upon your likes and dislikes. I think it is pretty difficult to mess up, but if it doesnt turn out right, just do what I do and make grilled cheese or PB&J for dinner.


Grab What You have Frittata Recipe

10 Eggs (mine was a little low, although it does rise, you may want to use more if you like eggs a lot)

½ of a container of Light Sour Cream

A cup or two of milk (I used 1 percent)

Dash of Mustard

Dash of garlic salt

Basil

Veggies I used green onion, green bell pepper, artichoke hearts and grilled white corn

5 breakfast sausage links with skins off cooked in pieces (these were kind of sweeter sausage and my hubby loved them in the frittata, but you could use any sausage)

Bacon Crumbles

Shredded Cheese (I used Cheddar and Parmesan)

Bread (normally I use whole wheat bread, but this time all I had defrosted was hamburger buns so I threw those in the frittata and it turned out great)


Combine and whisk eggs, sour cream, milk, mustard, basil and garlic salt. Set aside egg mixture. In a 9 x13 baking dish (sprayed with cooking spray) layer the following starting with the bread, veggies, meats, cheeses then top with bread. Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Top with cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for approximately 30 minutes. I would make sure it is brown on top and the egg is not runny, you want it to jiggle a little, but not be runny.

Variations: I have made this with feta, ham and asparagus or blue cheese and bacon is good. I have used mushrooms and chicken before with English Muffins for the bread part. There are so many variations to make this dish with. I would say whatever you like in your omelet you will like in a frittata. I havent tried it, but you might even be able to a southwestern frittata. My family enjoys them and they are pretty easy to pull together when plans fall through. I have also served these for a brunch baby shower twice now and they were a big hit.

No comments: